Introduction to El Campo, Texas
El Campo History
El Campo was a railroad camp in 1882 which was first named "Prairie Switch" and later called "Pearl of the Prairie". It was renamed "El Campo", meaning "the camp", by Mexican Cowboys. Ranching was the main occupation of this area and thousands of cattle were shipped in every year. The town was officially incorporated in 1905.
El Campo and nearby Attractions
- El Campo Museum
- El Country Club
- El Campo Aquatic Center
- Evan's Park
- Friendship Park
- Lake Texana
Things To Do In El Campo
The El Campo Aquatic Center was designed as a recreation and exercise facility for families. It is complete with a playscape area that has a 50-foot slide, a competition pool with 8 lanes, a large hot tub, and several other water amenities. The city has seven parks which occupy approximately 56 acres of land. These parks offer facilities such as paved walking paths, covered pavilions with picnic tables, lighted tennis courts, volleyball courts, football and soccer fields, and jogging trails.
El Campo Transportation
One can avail of air transportation from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
El Campo Higher Education
Facilities for higher education can be availed from Wharton County Junior College, Victoria College, and Houston Baptist University.