Introduction to Frisco, Texas
Frisco, Texas, in Collin county, is 11 miles N of Carrollton, Texas (center to center) and 24 miles N of Dallas, Texas. The city is regarded as a wealthy suburb of Dallas and is home to a large number of professionals that work for companies located in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. It's a popular shopping destination for the region.
The original settlers arrived by way of the Shawnee Trail. Cattle drives were often planned in the community of Lebanon which later became part of Frisco. The St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad arrived in 1902 and a community was built near the train station. Frisco was named in tribute to the Railroad. With the decline in cattle drives people and businesses moved from the trail areas and relocated in Frisco to be near the railroad and the activity it created.
- The Frisco Rough Riders play minor league baseball
- The Texas Tornado play in the North American Hockey League
- The Frisco Thunder is an indoor football team
- FC Dallas is a Major League Soccer team
- The Superdrome is regarded as one of the top outdoor velodromes in the country
- Heritage Museum
- Dr Pepper Star Center features a variety of events
- The Ice at Stonebriar is a popular public skating venue
- The Stonebriar Centre Mall is well known for shopping and entertainment
- Old Downtown Frisco is enjoyed for shopping and dining
- Texas Sculpture Garden & International Art
- Frisco Chorale
- Frisco Community Theatre
- The Pizza Hut Park is a top-notch sports and entertainment facility
The Frisco Athletic Center Water Park is popular with families. Central Park is enjoyed for walking and bicycle riding. The Arbor Hills Nature Preserve, The Northshore Mountain Bike Trail and the Rowlett Creek Nature Preserve Trail are nearby. Golf enthusiasts enjoy playing at the Plantation Golf Club and Trails of Frisco.
Frisco Higher Education
The city is home to a campus of the Amberton University and the Preston Ridge campus of the Collin Community College District.
The city is served by the nearby Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.