Introduction to Lumberton, Texas
The history of Lumberton dates back to the establishment of the Gulf, Beaumont and Kansas City Railway in 1894. The town of Lumberton was established as a stop on this route. The post office, established in 1909, served the lumber camps and local saw mills. In 1914, the post office was moved to Fletcher which was nearby. After the saw mill at Fletcher closed, the populated area became a part of Lumberton which was incorporated as a city in 1973.
Lumberton and Nearby Attractions
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias Museum
- Big Thicket National Preserve
- San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site
- Village Creek State Park
- Moody Gardens
Things To Do In Lumberton
Sea Rim and Martin Dies Jr. State Parks are among the local attractions. Cattail Marsh and Pleasure Island may also be visited. Among the museums located nearby are Clifton Steamboat Museum, Spindletop Oil Museum, Texas Energy Museum, The Fire Museum of Texas, and John Jay French House. Village Creek Festival is celebrated annually by the people of the city. W.H. Stark House is where William Henry Stark used to stay. Built in the early 1890's, the structure was built in Queen Anne style and is a popular historic spot. Armand Bayou Nature Center, which is some distance from the city, has live animal displays, bird watching, and hiking.
Southeast Texas Regional is the closest airport to the city.
Lumberton Higher Education
Lamar State College - Port Arthur, Lamar University, and Lamar State College - Orange are located nearby.