International trade, tourism and manufacturing have important roles in McAllen. The McAllen/Reynosa region has become a primary location for businesses setting up operations along the United States/Mexico border. The McAllen Foreign-Trade Zone is typically ranked among the nation's most active foreign trade zones.
Over 80 of the Fortune 500 global manufacturers have facilities in McAllen/Reynosa including Bissel, Panasonic, Eaton, Black & Decker, GE, Nokia, Johnson Controls, Sony, Whirlpool, West Bend and Drexel Meyer. McAllen also includes call centers for companies such as T-Mobile, Hotel.com, Western Wireless, Ticketmaster, West TeleServices and Merkafon.
Notable data regarding McAllen, Texas: Estimated median household income in 2007: $40,000. Adult population which has achieved a bachelor's degree or higher: 24%. Cost of living index in 2008: 79.0 (U.S. average: 100).
The McAllen area's top employers:
- Edinburg Consolidated I S D
- McAllen Independent School District
- Edinburg Regional Medical Center
- University of Texas Pan American
- McAllen Medical Center
- Hidalgo County
- Mission Consolidated I S D
- City of McAllen
- Columbia Rio Grande Regional Hospital
- South Texas College
Top fields of employment in McAllen, Texas:
- Educational services
- Accommodation and food services
- Finance and insurance
- Professional, scientific and technical services
McAllen companies are invited to work with the following organizations:
- McAllen Chamber of Commerce
- McAllen Economic Development Corporation
- Texas Economic Development Council
- Texas Association of Manufacturers
- Small Business Administration - Texas
Those interested in staying current with McAllen business activities may want to read the online newspaper The Monitor.