Introduction to McKinney, Texas
McKinney, Texas, in Collin county, is 29 miles N of Dallas, Texas. The city is included in the Dallas metropolitan area.
The history of McKinney dates back to 1841 when the area was first settled in. Early settlers arrived from Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. In 1848, the city became the county seat of Collin County. McKinney was named after Collin McKinney, one of the people who signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. The first post office was also established in 1848, and Joel F. Stewart became the postmaster. McKinney was originally incorporated as a town in 1849 and reincorporated as a city on May 28, 1859.
McKinney and nearby Attractions
- Wilson Creek Park
- Collin County Youth and Farm Museum
- Old Post Office Museum
- Heard Natural Science Museum
- Van Alstyne Museum
- Dallas World Aquarium
Things To Do In McKinney
McKinney offers easy access to several historic sites and museums including the Heard-Craig House, Collin County Historical Society Museum, Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary, Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, and Dallas Children’s Museum. Leisure hours can also be spent at Erwin Municipal Park, Wilson Creek Park, Murphy Park, Mouzon Park, and Finch Park. One can also enjoy boating and fishing on the Towne Lake.
Dallas/ Fort Worth International Airport is the nearest international airport.
McKinney Higher Education
Collin County Community College-Central Park is the local college. University of Dallas and The University of Texas at Dallas are also near the city.