Introduction to Midlothian, Texas
Settlers arrived in the area during the 1800s. Colonization occurred only after Sam Houston finalized the peace treaty between the Indians and the Republic of Texas in 1843. The area was initially known as "Hawkins' Spring." The present name, which comes from the Scottish county of the same name, was first used in the 1880s. The city, which was incorporated in 1888, had fourteen gins at one point. It is now called the "Cement and Steel Capital of Texas," because Midlothian is a favored location of cement manufacturers due to the presence of the Austin Escarpment chalk ridge in the area.
Midlothian and Nearby Attractions
- Little Chapel-in-the-Woods
- Cedar Hill State Park
- Children's Museum of Waxahachie
- Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art
- Dallas World Aquarium
Things To Do In Midlothian
The Sid Richardson Collection of Western Art houses paintings by artists like Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. Fifty six of their paintings are permanently displayed. The Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, near Midlothian, often hosts weddings on the weekends. O'Neil Ford designed this chapel in 1941. The burial site of Davy Crockett's second wife, Elizabeth Crockett, is also close to the city. The television series 'Dallas' was shot at the nearby Southfork Ranch. Camping, boating, and picnicking opportunities are available at the Cedar Hill State Park.
The nearest major airport is Dallas/ Fort Worth International Airport.
Midlothian Higher Education
Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Cedar Valley College, and Wesleyan University are located near Midlothian.