The oil industry is the major economy factor in Odessa, Texas. Economic procedures are being taken to diversify the economy. Walmart, Saulsbury Companies and Odessa Regional Hospital are some of the top private sector job providers. The city includes a Telvista inbound customer service call center and a Coca Cola distribution center.
The leading employment sectors in Odessa are healthcare, educational services, oil, construction, mining, manufacturing, repair and maintenance, and accommodation and food services. Sales and office occupations (31% of the jobs). Management, professional and related occupations (23% of the workforce).
Some of the most popular jobs in Odessa where the majority of the workers are college graduates are wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, registered nurses, petroleum engineers, educational, vocational and school counselors, sales managers, financial managers, management analysts, and medical and health services managers.
Details about Odessa, Texas: Estimated median household income in 2007: $46,000. Adult population holding a bachelor's degree or higher: 15%. Cost of living index in 2008: 75.5 (U.S. average: 100).
The major private industry employers are provided below:
- Walmart - Retail
- Saulsbury Companies - Electric & construction
- Odessa Regional Hospital - Medical
- Nurses Unlimited, Inc - Medical
- Bobby Cox Companies, Inc - Retail/restaurants
- Haliburton - Oil & gas
- Investment Corp., of America - Financial
- Telvista, Inc - Customer service
- Weatherford CPS Oil & gas
- Family Dollar - Distribution center
Odessa's major public employers:
- Ector County I S D - Education
- Medical Center Hospital - Hospital
- City of Odessa - Government
- Odessa College - Education
- Ector County - Government
- University of Texas of the Permina Basin - Education
- Texas Tech University Health - Education/medical
Odessa companies can receive assistance from the following associations:
- Odessa Chamber of Commerce
- Odessa Economic Development Department
- Texas Economic Development Council
- Texas Association of Manufacturers
- Small Business Administration - Texas
People looking for local business and economic news can read the Odessa American Online.