Introduction to Palestine, Texas
Palestine was founded in 1846 along with Anderson County. It was named after Palestine, Illinois. The first post office of the city was established in 1847. The International-Great Northern Railroad arrived in the city in 1872. In 1928, oil was discovered at Boggy Creek which is located east of Palestine. The economy of the city benefited from this discovery. Later on, a number of oil fields were discovered in Anderson County, and Palestine became a major oil-well servicing center.
Palestine and nearby Attractions
- Engeling Wildlife Management Area
- Howard House Museum
- Palestine Community Forest
- Texas State Railroad State Historical Park
- Davey Dogwood Park
- Museum for East Texas Culture
Things To Do In Palestine
Palestine is home to Davey Dogwood Park which has over 200 acres of scenic trails that meander throughout the park. The Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility, operated by NASA, is located in the city. Those interested in the area's local history can visit Palestine Carnegie Library, Howard House Museum, and Museum for East Texas Culture. Fishing and boating can be enjoyed on Wolf Creek Lake, City Lake, Lake Palestine, and Spring Park Lake.
Air transportation is available from Tyler Pounds Regional Airport.
Palestine Higher Education
Opportunities for higher education are provided by a number of colleges and universities including Trinity Valley Community College, Tyler Junior College, and The University of Texas at Tyler.