Introduction to Richardson, Texas
Richardson is located in Dallas County and is considered to be a suburb of Dallas. Richardson is the location of the Telecom Corridor; a vast technology center which is home to numerous companies that are prominent in the technology industry such as Nortel, Ericsson, AT&T, Tellabs, Alcatel-Lucent and Texas Instruments.
The area was inhabited by the Comanche and the Caddo tribes. During the 1840's pioneers from Tennessee and Kentucky moved to Richardson and settled in the area. After the Civil War ended a new railroad was constructed in the region. William J. Wheeler donated a piece of land that became the location of a new town which thrived due to the railroad. He turned down an offer to have the town named after him. The town was named after E.H. Richardson who was a railroad contractor that constructed the railroad which went from Dallas to Denison.
In 1873 Richardson received a charter. The city residents were provided with their first telephones and electric lights in 1910. A schoolhouse made from red bricks was constructed in 1914 and is now the location of the Richardson Independent School District administrative offices. In 1940 the population of Richardson was 740. When World War II ended the population significantly increased. Due primarily to U.S. Highway 75 opening in 1954, Richardson was no longer just an agricultural city but soon became the location of numerous shopping centers and houses.
Richardson is served by the Dallas Area Rapid Transport.
The University of Texas at Dallas is situated in Richardson and is located in the Telecom Corridor accompanied by numerous prominent technology corporations. It is prominent in the areas of engineering, cognitive sciences, natural sciences and computer science. The university is well known for its graduate programs in international management, economics as well as political economy. It provides students with the opportunities to obtain master degrees and opportunities in doctoral programs. The university is the location of the renowned Alan G. MacDiarmid Nano Tech Institute.
- The Floyd Family Inn
- The drug store on Main Street
- R.P. Harben Drug Store