Introduction to Stephenville, Texas
Stephenville, Texas, in Erath county, is 62 miles SW of Fort Worth, Texas.
The city was named after John M. Stephen who arrived in the area in 1854 and was one of the earliest settlers. He donated land for the establishment of the townsite according to the plan of George B. Erath. By 1858, when the community had prospered, frequent Comanche raids made people's lives miserable. The population also decreased to approximately 300 in 1871. Following the American Civil War, however, the town grew steadily as a center for livestock production and agriculture. Stephenville was finally incorporated in 1889.
Stephenville and nearby Attractions
- Berry House
- Alive in Christ Fellowship Church
- West End Cemetery
- Pittman Lake
- Stephenville Stephenville Park
- Stephenville Public Library
Things To Do In Stephenville
Berry House is a historical landmark frequented by tourists. Stephenville Public Library has a great collection of books and magazines for visitors. Alive in Christ Fellowship Church is a house of prayer that fascinates tourists with its marvelous architecture. Stephenville Park allows visitors to take part in various recreational activities. Pittman Lake is a paradise for those interested in watersports or fishing.
Fort Worth NAS JRB/Carswell Field Airport is located a short distance from Stephenville.
Stephenville Higher Education
Tarrant County College, Texas Wesleyan University, and The University of Texas at Arlington provide higher educational facilities.