Introduction to Yoakum, Texas
The land on which Yoakum is now located was given to John May by the Coahuila and Texas government. The town was laid out in 1887 during the construction of the San Antonio and Arkansas Pass Railway. It was named in honor of Benjamin F. Yoakum, the general manager and vice president of the line. A post office was established in 1887. In 1889, the town was incorporated, and L. W. Thomas was the first mayor.
Yoakum and Nearby Attractions
- Presidio La Bahia
- Lavaca Historical Museum
- Yoakum Heritage Museum
- Sebastopol House State Historic Site
- Texas Zoo
Things To Do In Yoakum
The Greek revival house that was built in 1856 is located at the Sebastopol House State Historic Site. The 13 acre site where Col. J.W. Fannin laid down arms before the Mexicans in 1836 is also accessible from the city. The colonel and 341 soldiers were put to death seven days after the Battle of Coleto. Canoeing, swimming, tubing, camping, fishing, and picnicking opportunities are available at the Palmetto State Park on the San Marcos River. The nearby Lockhart State Park has a golf course.
Victoria Regional is the nearest airport.
Yoakum Higher Education
University of Houston - Victoria, Victoria College, and Texas State University are located close to Yoakum.