The Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, also known as Virginia Tech, dominates the Blacksburg economy. The Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center includes Honeywell, VTLS, Rackspace's Email and Apps Division and a facility for the National Weather Service. Moog Inc., situated nearby, is a major contractor for the Defense Department and the health care industry. Manufacturing and business services also add to the economy. In addition, the Blacksburg region is regarded as an emerging high-tech area.
The leading fields of employment in Blacksburg are educational services, accommodation and food services; professional, scientific and technical services, and healthcare. About 48% of the workforce is employed in management, professional and related occupations. Sales and office workers comprise about 19% of the labor force.
Notable information regarding Blacksburg, Virginia: Cost of living index in 2008: 97.8 (U.S. average: 100). Adult residents holding a bachelor's degree or better: 64%. The average earnings in 2009: $31,000.
The top employers in Blacksburg and the surrounding area:
- Moog Inc
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- Federal-Mogul Corporation
- Montgomery Regional Hospital, Inc
- The Cooperative State Research Education and Extension Service
- Town of Blacksburg
- Tetra Holding (US), Inc
- Virginia Tech Services, Inc
- American Healthcare, LLC
Blacksburg companies can receive assistance from the following associations:
- Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce
- New River Valley Economic Development Alliance
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership
- Virginia SBDC Network
- Virginia Manufacturers Association
- Small Business Administration - Virginia
People looking for local business and economic news can visit the Examiner.com.