Introduction to Colonial Heights, Virginia
Colonial Heights History
The place now known as Colonial Heights was once part of the Algonquian-speaking confederacy known as Tenakomakah. It was then under the rule of Chief Powhatan. The region was made part of "Henrico Cittie," one of the four huge "incorporations" in the Virginia Colony. This was done by London Company in the year 1619. The community was named after the troops of Marquis de Lafayette, who were then known as the Colonials. The Colonials were stationed in this area during the Revolutionary War. Colonial Heights was incorporated as a town in Chesterfield County in 1926, and later as an independent city in the year 1948.
Colonial Heights and nearby Attractions
- Petersburg National Battlefield
- Violet Bank Museum
- Pickwick Shopping Center
- Swift Creek Lake
- Berberich Park
- Church of the Nazarene
Things To Do In Colonial Heights
The city of Colonial Heights provides easy access to a number of historical sites and museums. Among these are Petersburg National Battlefield, White House of the Confederacy, Violet Bank Museum, Flowerdew Hundred Museum, and Edgar Allan Poe Museum. One can also visit the industrial park and the public library in Colonial Heights. Swift Creek Lake, Lake View Lake, and Fleets Branch are beautiful bodies of water in the city. Pickwick Shopping Center, Town Hall Shopping Center, and Colonial Square Shopping Center are ideal for those who wish to take back souvenirs for their loved ones.
Colonial Heights Transportation
Richmond International Airport is close by.
Colonial Heights Higher Education
Opportunities for higher education are provided by Virginia State University, John Tyler Community College, and University of Richmond.