Introduction to Everett, Washington
Everett is situated along the Port Gardner Peninsula in the Puget Sound region in Snohomish County. The city is home to a prominent Boeing Assembly facility, the Naval Station Everett and a large Kimberly-Clark paper mill. The international shipping port is a major factor for the economy.
The Everett Land Company acquired a substantial acreage which became available after the signing of the Treaty of Point Elliot. The company's goal was to establish a city. In 1861 Dennis Brigham constructed the first cabin in the area. In 1893 the city was incorporated and the Northern Railroad arrived. Saws mills and the port were stimulating the economy. Steam riverboats utilized during the Yukon Gold Rush were constructed in town.
- The Everett Historic District features a large number of impressive homes
- Everett Farmer's Market
- The Boeing Tour Center allows visitors to view airplanes in different stages of flight testing and manufacturing
- Waterfront Concert Series
- Flying Heritage Collection includes numerous planes utilized during wartime
- Fresh Paint Festival of Artists
- Walter E. Hall Park
- Forest Park
- Nishiyama Garden is a Japanese style garden situated at Everett Community College
- Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens incudes conifer, dahlia and woodland gardens and scenic views of Puget Sound
- Narbeck Wetland Sanctuary
- Everett Mall
- Everett Events Center
- Everett Theatre
- Imagine Children's Museum
- Village Theatre
- Everett Performing Arts Center
- Snohomish County Historical Museum
- Everett Symphony
- Arts Council of Snohomish County
Activities and Sports
Silver Lake and the narrow man-made Jetty Island include popular sandy swimming beach areas. The Port of Everett provides residents and visitors with a variety of recreational opportunities. Visitors enjoy the whale watching tours in the Puget Sound, San Juan Islands and Seattle areas. Guided deep-sea fishing trips are popular. Opportunities for river fishing are also available.
The city is home to the Everett Aqua Sox baseball team, an arena football team and a basketball team which plays in the IBL. The Everett Silvertips play in the Western Hockey League.
The town is home to Ashmead College, City University, Bryman College, Western Washington University and Everett Community College.
Sound Transit offers commuter train as well as bus transportation to Seattle. Amtrak also provides transportation to Seattle.