Morgantown, West Virginia is a prominent regional commercial center. Morgantown is home to West Virginia University. The school has a significant impact on the local economy. The large healthcare industry and the region's high tech corridor are integral parts of the economy. Significant manufacturing industries in Morgantown are pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and glass and glassware.
In Morgantown the top employment sectors are educational services, accommodation and food services, healthcare; professional, scientific and technical services; and construction. Management, professional and related occupations (38% of the workforce). Sales and office occupations (23% of the jobs).
Accolades for Morgantown, West Virginia: Named the #1 small city in the country by bizjournals.com. Forbes named Morgantown as one of the best small metro areas for business and careers. The city was named as one of the top smart places to live by Kiplinger's.
Facts about Morgantown, West Virginia: Average earnings in 2009: $29,000. Cost of living index in 2008: 92.2 (U.S. average: 100). Adult population which has achieved a bachelor's degree or higher: 48%.
The largest employers in Morgantown and the surrounding area:
- West Virginia University
- West Virginia University Hospitals
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc
- Monongalia County Board of Education
- University Health Associates
- Monongalia General Hospital
- Teletech Customer Care Management (WV), Inc
- Gabriel Brothers Inc
- Mulberry Street Management Services Inc
- The Cooperative State Research Education and Extension Service
- West Virginia Rehabilitation Hospital Inc
- Synovate, Inc
- March-Westin Company, Inc
- Lowe's Home Centers, Inc
- The Kroger Co
Businesses in Morgantown can collaborate with useful organizations such as:
- Morgantown Area Chamber of Commerce
- Morgantown Area Economic Partnership
- WV Economic Development Council
- West Virginia Economic Development Authority
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Administration - West Virginia
The Dominion Post is a good resource regarding local business and industry news.