The leading manufacturing sectors in Parkersburg, West Virginia are chemicals, glass, ferrous metals, laboratory equipment, aluminum products, tools, wooden products and plastics. Educational services and healthcare are also significant economic forces. In addition, Parkersburg is located in a major agricultural region which includes fruit, vegetables and dairying. Parkersburg is also a shipping center.
The top job providing sectors in Parkersburg are healthcare, construction, accommodation and food services, education, chemicals, and the government. Sales and office occupations (28% of the jobs). Management, professional and related occupations (23% of the labor force).
In Parkersburg, there are numerous popular jobs where the majority of the workers have a college degree including registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives; social and human service assistants; child, family and school social workers; computer specialists, human resources, training and labor relations specialists; and medical and health services managers.
Noteworthy information regarding Parkersburg, West Virginia: Adult population holding a bachelor's degree or better: 12%. Average earnings in 2009: $25,000. Cost of living index in 2008: 81.9 (U.S. average: 100).
The largest employers in Parkersburg, West Virginia:
- Camden Clark Memorial Hospital Corporation
- St Joseph Hospital of Parkersburg
- United Construction Company, Inc
- Treasury Franchise Fund, US
- Mountain State Blue Cross & Blue Shield, Inc
- West Virginia Department of Transportation
- Winans Services
- Extras Support Staffing
- Civic Development Group, LLC
- Walmart, Stores, Inc
- City of Parkersburg
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg
- Teknetix, Inc
- West Virginia Rehabilitation Services Inc
- The Ogden Newspapers Inc
- Eaglecare, Inc
- Central Distributing
- Larry Simmons Inc
Businesses in Parkersburg are invited to work with useful organizations including:
- Wood County Economic Development
- WV Economic Development Council
- West Virginia Economic Development Authority
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Administration - West Virginia
Parkersburg News and Sentinel offers details about the local business community.