The top industries in Weirton, West Virginia are manufacturing, educational services and healthcare. Coal mining, metal stamping and plating, metal cans, chemicals and pet food are significant economic elements for the region. The Weirton Steel Corporation is now part of the international company, Arcelor Mittal. The facility is currently involved with tin-plating.
The major job providing sectors in Weirton, West Virginia are metal and metal products, healthcare, accommodation and food services, manufacturing, educational services, and finance and insurance. Sales and office occupations (26% of the labor force). Management, professional and related occupations (25% of the labor force).
Noteworthy information regarding Weirton, West Virginia: Average earnings: $28,000. Cost of living index in 2008: 81.7 (national average: 100). Adult population which has earned a bachelor's degree or better: 14%.
Weirton's major employers are shown below:
- Weirton Steel Corporation
- Weirton Medical Corporation
- Weirton Medical Center, Inc
- Weirton Geriatric Center, Inc
- Walmart Stores, Inc
- Ball Aerosol & Speciality Containers Inc
- Eat'n Park Hospitality Group, Inc
- The Kroger Co
- Del Monte Corporation
- Crown Cork & Seal Company Inc
- Nestle Purina Petcare Company
- Bobette Enterprises Inc
- Roll Coater, Inc
- Meldisco K-M Weirton W VA Inc
- Kmart Corporation
- The Williams Country Club
- Weirton Wholesale Distributing Company, Inc
- Sal Chemical Co, Inc
- The James White Construction Company
- N-Powell Company, Inc
Some of the most common jobs in Weirton, West Virginia that are mostly filled by those with college degrees are registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives; human resources, training and labor relations specialists; pharmacists, medical and health services managers; child, family and school social workers; and computer systems analysts.
Weirton businesses have access to associations such as:
- Weirton Area Chamber of Commerce
- WV Economic Development Council
- West Virginia Economic Development Authority
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Administration - West Virginia
Local business and economic news is provided by WeirtonDailyTimes.com.