Introduction to Delavan, Wisconsin
The earliest inhabitants of the area were Native Americans. The area was known as "New France" from the middle of the seventeenth century until the middle of eighteenth century, when it was under French control. After the French and Indian War, the area came under control of the Province of Quebec and the British. The community became a part of the territory of Wisconsin in the year 1836. It was officially granted statehood in 1848 and named in honor of Edward Cornelius Delavan.
Delavan and nearby Attractions
- East Troy Electric Railroad Museum
- Spinning Top Museum
- Rock Cut State Park
- Milton House Museum
- Palmer Park
- Big Foot Beach State Park
Things To Do In Delavan
Local golfers can enjoy a round at the George Williams Golf Course, the Hawks View Golf Club and the Abbey Springs Golf Course. Parks in the area include Terrace Park, Veterans Memorial Park and Robert H Miller Park, while the local churches include the Luther Memorial Lutheran Church, the Christ Episcopal Church of Delavanm and the Saint Andrews Catholic Church. Festivals celebrated by the community include the Winter Fest and Jamming in the Gardens with Bluegrass Bands.
General Mitchell International is the nearest major airport.
Delavan Higher Education
Higher education can be pursued at Carroll College, Rock Valley College and Elgin Community College.