Introduction to Grafton, Wisconsin
Grafton, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee county, is located 19 miles N of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Grafton was first explored by two Jesuit priests called Fathers Allouez and Dablon in 1670. The Potawatomi Indians inhabited in the area until late 1820s. Timothy Wooden and Jacob Eichler were the first white settlers of the village. They arrived in 1839. The village started developing by 1840. It was officially incorporated as a village in 1896. The economy of the village largely depended on the lumber industry.
Grafton and nearby Attractions
- Milwaukee Art Museum
- Pabst House
- Charles Allis Art Museum
- Harrington Beach State Park
- Milwaukee Public Museum
- Pike Lake State Park
Things To Do In Grafton
While in Grafton one can visit the Milwaukee Art Museum, Discovery World Museum of Science, Economics & Technology, Betty Brinn Children's Museum, and Patrick & Beatrice Haggerty Museum of Art. The Pike Lake State Park, Harrington Beach State Park, and Kettle Moraine State Forest provide amenities for several different types of recreational opportunities. There are some excellent golf courses nearby. These include the Edgewater Golf Club, Missing Links Golf Course, and Mee - Kwon Park Golf Course. The village hosts the Paramount Blues Festival each year in the month of September.
Flights can be availed from General Mitchell International Airport.
Grafton Higher Education
Concordia University - Wisconsin, Marquette University, and Cardinal Stritch University provide higher education in the area.