Introduction to Kaukauna, Wisconsin
The city now known as Kaukauna was known as "The Lion on the Fox" during the 1880s. The city was officially incorporated in 1885. Charles A. Grignon was given Wisconsin’s first land deed and then built a mansion on the northern side of Kaukauna, which now operates as a museum of the Outagamie County Historical Society. The Fox River divides the city into the South Side and the North Side. The name of the community is derived from an Indian word, translated as "crow nestling place" or "long portage."
Kaukauna and nearby Attractions
- Plamann County Park
- Oneida Nation Museum
- Heritage Hill State Park
- Fox Cities Children’s Museum
- High Cliff State Park
- National Railroad Museum
Things To Do In Kaukauna
Local parks include La Follette Park, White City Park, Grignon Park and Horseshoe Park. The White Pillars Museum, the Neville Public Museum of Brown County and the Hazelwood Historic House Museum provide insights into the area’s history. Local churches include Saint Aloysius Catholic Church, the Immanuel United Church of Christ and the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Irish Waters Golf Club, the North Shore Golf Club and the High Cliff Golf Course are all in the area as well.
Austin Straubel International Airport is nearby.
Kaukauna Higher Education
Students in the area can pursue higher education at Lakeland College, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College and at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay.