Introduction to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
Prairie du Chien History
Prairie du Chien was first visited by French explorers Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet, on June 17, 1673. A trading post was established in the area by another French explorer named Nicolas Perrot in 1685. The Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad first entered the area in 1857. It is the county seat of Crawford County, which was founded in 1818.
Prairie du Chien and nearby Attractions
- Fur Trade Museum
- Wyalusing State Park
- Prairie du Chien Museum at Fort Crawford
- Brisbois House
- Villa Louis Historic Site
- St. Feriole Island
Things To Do In Prairie du Chien
Local museums include the Prairie du Chien Museum at Fort Crawford, the Fur Trade Museum, the Villa Louis Historic Site and the Villa Louis Historic Site. Local churches include Saint Johns Catholic Church, Saint Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church, Saint Gabriels Catholic Church and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. Praire de Chien hosts the Prairie Dog Blues Festival and the Prairie Villa Rendezvous every year.
Prairie du Chien Transportation
Dubuque Regional Airport provides facilities for air transportation.
Prairie du Chien Higher Education
Upper Iowa University, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville and Luther College are the nearest colleges and universities.