Wausau is the economic hub of north central Wisconsin. Manufacturing is a major asset to the Wausau area's economy. Some of the integral economic sectors are healthcare, tourism, banking, insurance and professional services. Food processing, especially cheese, also adds to the economy.
Some of the region's largest manufacturing employers are Greenheck Fan Corp, Kolbe & Kolbe Millworks Inc and Wausau Paper Corp. Employment is provided by businesses that produce items such as electric motors, wood and paper products, scissors, windows and doors, home manufacturing and ventilation equipment.
The top fields of employment in Wausau, Wisconsin are healthcare, manufacturing, finance and insurance, metal and metal products, paper, educational services, wood products and accommodation and food services.
Management, professional and related occupations (29% of the labor force). Sales and office occupations (27% of the jobs). Production, transportation and material moving occupations (18% of the workforce).
The Wausau region's major manufacturing employers:
- Greenheck Fan Corp - Industrial commercial fans
- Kolbe & Kolbe Millworks Inc - Wood windows and doors
- Wausau Paper Corp - Pulp, paper & specialties
- Marathon Cheese Corp - Cheese packaging
- Marathon Electric Manufacturing Corp - Electric AC motors & generators
- SNE/Peachtree - Wood & vinyl windows & doors
- County Materials Corp - Concrete and architectural block
- Wausau Window & Wall Systems - Aluminum widows, curtain wall systems
- Land O'Lakes Inc - Cheese Division - Cheese packaging
- Abbyland Foods Inc - Meat packaging
The Wausau region's major non-manufacturing employers:
- Aspirus Wausau Hospital - Healthcare
- Wausau School District - Education
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Footlocker.com/Eastbay - Retail/mail order
- Northcentral Health Care - Healthcare
- Marathon County Government - Government
- UMR/Fiserv Health/Wausau Benefits Inc - Benefits administration
- Marshfield Clinic - Wausau Center - Healthcare
- DC Everest School District - Education
- St. Clare's Hospital/Ministry Health - Healthcare
Facts regarding Wausau, Wisconsin: Average earnings in 2009: $29,000. Cost of living in 2008: 79.0 (U.S. average: 100). Adult residents holding a bachelor's degree or better: 22%
Businesses located in Wausau have access to helpful associations such as:
- Wausau Region Chamber of Commerce
- Wausau Community and Economic Development
- Wisconsin Economic Development Association
- Wisconsin Technology Council
- Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce
- Small Business Administration - Wisconsin
The Wausau Daily Herald provides current information about local business activities.