Southern Polytechnic State University, also referred to as SPSU or Southern Poly, was established in 1948 as the Technical Institute in Chamblee, Georgia, United States. The first classes were held with 116 students. It was renamed Southern Technical Institute in 1949 and moved to its present campus in Marietta, Georgia, around 1958. It went through another name change in 1987 and was named Southern College of Technology. Later in the summer of 1996, the university adopted its current name. Today, the university encompasses more than 230 acres and includes approximately 35 buildings. SPSU is made up of the following schools:
The sports teams of SPSU are nicknamed the Hornets and Lady Hornets. Their mascot is known as Horny the Hornet. The university participates in a number of men's and women's sport such as baseball, basketball, and soccer.
Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) 2016-17, National Center for Education Statistics, http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/
Disclaimer: Information on this page was not provided or commissioned by the featured school. Information has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the featured school.